It is located in the town of Juan Griego and it is also known as the Fort of La Libertad. It was built in 1811 by order of the patriotic Board of Margarita.
The history account that after the defeat of the realistic troops under the command of General Morillo's troops in the battle of Matasiete Patriots July 31, 1.817, Morillo tried to take back the island entering the Bay of Juan Griego on 8 August of the same year starring in one of the bloodiest battles in our history. The Fort was defended by just 200 Patriots commanded by Colonel Fermin, who put resistance to the Spaniards, where the despair of the Defense came to employ not only firearms, until huge rocks. After a caught fire, exploded the gunpowder store in the Fort with the majority of the occupants; those who not perished in the explosion, were beheaded in the lagoon which is located at the foot of the Fort whose waters are stained red, and since then it is known with the name of "Lake of the martyrs".
It was rebuilt in the year of 1954. Currently, the Margarita children who live in the town of Juan Griego are a particular way, the history of the place.
¿Este es tu negocio?. Contáctanos y así podrás certificarte con nosotros y completar la información de tu negocio